In 1998 the IHHA Board of Directors established a procedure to recognize outstanding people who through their dedicated efforts had advanced heavy haul rail operations and technology. The purpose of establishing a Heavy Haul of Fame is to publicly recognize eminent and dedicated persons who have contributed significantly to the pursuit of excellence in the fields of engineering, operations, and management of heavy haul railways.
For an individual to be considered for election into the Heavy Haul of Fame that person must meet or exceed the following criteria:
- A minimum of ten (10) years active involvement in the heavy haul railway industry.
- A significant contribution to the development by either theory or practice, to heavy haul railway engineering, operations or management.
- A general recognition by their peers of having in-depth knowledge of heavy haul issues and a willingness to share this knowledge and experience.
- Leadership and visionary attributes.
- Outstanding professional and personal character.